St Brigid’s Catholic Primary School Coogee is a small school with a big heart. Our school prides itself on being family and community-centred with a strong sense of self, founded on compassion, positivity and collaboration.
Students, staff and parents are encouraged and indeed challenged to live out our school vision; ‘Together we reach to the horizon and beyond’.
We achieve high expectations within a rich learning environment through stimulating academic, social, emotional, spiritual and physical learning challenges and experiences.
We cherish the partnership between parish, school and home and believe that this partnership will help our children develop and grow to value and respect the importance of their faith life and community. We proudly teach Catholic values enabling students to develop into young people ready to make a positive contribution to our world.
As principal at St Brigid’s Catholic Primary School Coogee, I invite you to visit our school to experience the wonderful opportunities on offer.
Mrs Diane Cowan
Opened in 1923, St Brigid’s Catholic Primary School Coogee was administered by the Brigidine Sisters from Randwick with Sr Paul King as principal. At first, it was a primary school for girls up to 6th class and for boys to 2nd class, with older boys attending Marist Brothers’ at Randwick. Enrolments grew steadily and peaked at 260 in the 1930s. In 1945, the school provided secondary education for girls up to Year 3. This lasted until 1955 when the school returned to primary classes only.
In 1982, the Brigidine Sisters ended their administration of the school after 60 years of service and, in 1983, Mr Nolan became the first lay principal. St Brigid’s provided primary schooling from Kindergarten to Year 6 for both girls and boys from 1989.
Major rebuilding of the school was completed in 1998 and in 2011, a new school hall was constructed. Over recent years, enrolments have increased with before and after school care now provided.
At St Brigid’s Catholic Primary School Coogee, the spirit of strength and gentleness inspires us as we carry on the tradition of the Brigidine sisters.
- Our curriculum contains an authentic Catholic perspective which addresses the development of the whole child, academically, spiritually, emotionally and physically.
- In creating an environment where the St Brigid’s School family provides an authentic Catholic school community where personal growth, dignity and self-esteem are nurtured.
- As Christians, we bear witness to the teachings of Jesus as we promote the Church’s evangelising mission.
- That we consciously inspire the children to live in the image of God, imitating Christ and upholding the dignity of each person.
- As environmental stewards, we respect and care for God’s creation.
Our parish and school support each other through Sacramental programs, social justice issues and charity appeals. With school representatives on the parish council, we work closely together in partnership.
- Parish Priest: Rev Phillip Hicks MSC PP
- Web: www.stbrigidscoogee.org.au
|Thursday||9.30am followed by morning tea|
|Saturday||5.00pm Vigil Mass|
|Sunday||7.00am, 9.30am and 6.00pm|
Proudly Part of the Community of Sydney Catholic Schools
Our school is part of a system of over 150 low-fee Catholic schools in the Sydney Archdiocese.
Sydney Catholic Schools are thriving Catholic communities that ignite a love of Christ through excellent teaching and learning to empower students to reach their full potential.